Machinists Union Strongly Supports the American Rescue Plan Recovery Package
IAM International President Robert Martinez Jr. sent a letter to members of the House requesting their support for the American Rescue Plan recovery package and opposition to any anti-worker amendments to the bill.
The American Rescue Plan will provide much-needed assistance to IAM members and working families during one of the most challenging periods in American history. This legislation is scheduled to be voted on in the house tomorrow.
“The recovery package includes vitally important aid to struggling industries which will allow employers to avoid furloughs and call back workers who have already been laid off,” said IAM International President Robert Martinez Jr. “The package includes an extension of the very successful airline Payroll Support Program (PSP), which will help keep tens of thousands of our members employed as the air travel industry gets back on its feet.”
The package also includes the following relief measures, fought for by the IAM:
- $1400 emergency stimulus checks for individuals making less than $75,000 and couples making less than $150,000
- $15 billion to extend the airline worker Payroll Support Program (PSP) and protect the jobs of thousands of airline workers
- $3 billion to support aviation manufacturing
- $30 billion for public transit
- $1.5 billion to recall furloughed Amtrak workers and prevent further layoffs
- Increases the federal unemployment benefit to $400 per week for an additional six months
- Butch Lewis pension legislation to provide retirement security
- Provides COBRA subsidies to help laid-off workers remain on their employer-sponsored health insurance plans
- An increase in the minimum wage to $15 by 2025
Read the IAM’s letter urging members of Congress to vote “Yes” on the American Rescue Plan recovery package and oppose any amendments to weaken this well-constructed recovery package.
IAM Organizing Director...