UNIONIZING IS A FEDERAL RIGHT; NO NEED TO BE AFRAID
Justice at JetBlue
28 April 2022
The right to organize and join a union are fundamental employment rights under federal labor laws.
JetBlue management is prohibited under federal law from ever knowing who signed an a-card or how anyone voted in a union election.
- You have the right to join the union and to ask others to join.
- You have the right to wear a union pin on the job, so long as it does not carry a controversial slogan or violate company policy or uniform requirements.
- You have the right to hand out union leaflets on your own time.
- You have the right to assist in, and encourage others to support, the union, so long as such efforts do not interfere with your work or violate posted company policy.
Here’s what management cannot do:
- They cannot tell employees that they will fire or punish them if they engage in union activity.
- They cannot lay-off or discharge any employee for union activity.
- They cannot bar employee union representatives from soliciting cards or membership during non-work time, in non-work areas.
- They cannot ask employees about confidential union matters, for example, whether you have signed a card, etc.
- They cannot ask the employees about whether they support the union or a union representation election.
- They cannot ask employees how they intend to vote.
- They cannot threaten employees or coerce them in an attempt to influence their vote, or to prevent them from voting.
- They cannot tell employees that existing benefits will be discontinued if the employees vote for a union.
- They cannot promise or give employees promotions, raises or other benefits if they vote against the union.
- They cannot prevent you from casting your vote.
- They cannot know how you voted.
THESE RIGHTS ARE ENFORCEABLE UNDER FEDERAL LAW AND WE SHOULD NOT BE FEARFUL FOR EXERCISING OUR S
Study: JetBlue as a Career
Is Ground Operations at JetBlue a good career choice? Do you plan to work at JetBlue long-term? How do you think your time at JetBlue will end? Let us know by participating in our careerism study below.
Guide Dogs of America – Tender Loving Canines Mark National PTSD Awareness DayGoIAM.org1 July 2022Guide Dogs of America-Tender Loving Canines continues to advocate and serve Americans and service members in need. June 27 is National PTSD Awareness Day, to which...
New Machinists Union Report Analyzes State of the Aerospace Industry, Charts Future for GrowthGoIAM.org29 June 2022This week, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW), North America’s largest aerospace labor union, released a new...
Negotiations Limp Along as Self-Imposed August 1st Deadline Approaches 24 June 2022 This week, IAM District 141 and United Airlines management continued negotiations in Chicago, IL. We continue to be frustrated with the pace of the talks. We are doubtful we will...